Protecting the Community
It is recognized that people have a right to and should be ensured an environment free from excessive sound and vibration that may jeopardize their health, safety, or welfare or degrade their quality of life.
This regulation was enacted to protect, preserve, and promote the health, safety, welfare, and quality of life for the citizens of Norwalk through the reduction, control, and prevention of noise.
- No person shall at any time operate construction equipment on the construction or demolition site or carry on any construction or demolition during nighttime hours, except in an emergency in the interest of public safety and then only with a permit from the director of health or his designee and subject to all other applicable rules and regulations provided by state and local law. The permit may not exceed a period of three days.
- No person shall at any time carry on blasting between the hours of 5:00 pm and 8:00 am, except in an emergency in the interest of public safety and then only with a permit from the director of health or his designee and subject to all other applicable rules and regulations provided by state and local law. The permit may not exceed a period of three days
- Any person who violates any provision of this chapter or any rule or regulation in force pursuant thereto shall be subject to a fine of no more than $99, and possible revoking of the building permit.
For the purpose of determining compliance with the provisions of this chapter, the Chief of Police or his designated representative is hereby authorized to make inspections of all noise sources and to take measurements and make tests whenever necessary to determine the quantity and character of noise.
Hours Approved for Construction-Related Noise
- Monday - Friday: 7:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Sunday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Federal and state holidays: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
For More Information
For questions about construction related issues to the Noise Ordinance, contact the Building and Code Enforcement Department at (203) 854-7760. To report all other violations of the Noise Ordinance, contact the Norwalk Police Department at (203) 854-3000.