To get your dog licensed, follow these steps:
- Print and complete the dog licensing form.
- Attach a copy of your rabies vaccination certificate signed by a veterinarian.
- Attach a check for the correct fee (see below) made out to the Town Clerk's Office.
- Mail this information to the address on the form.
- After processing your information, we will mail back your dog tag.
- If you sent your original rabies certificate, we will send it back to you as well.
When licensing for the first time, you must provide proof if your dog has been spayed or neutered. Licensing fees are as follows:
- Neutered males / spayed females - $8
- Un-neutered males / un-spayed females - $19
There is a $1 penalty fee per month (or fraction thereof) when an owner fails to license a dog after it becomes six months old.
When dog owners move to another Connecticut town, they must present their current license and tag to the town clerk of the new town of residence. A new tag and license will be issued at a cost of $1.
Lost Norwalk dog tags may be replaced for 50 cents.
- Every dog must be licensed when it becomes six months old and then annually every June.
- No license may be issued unless a valid rabies certificate, signed by a licensed veterinarian and including the date of the vaccination and duration of immunity, is presented to the town clerk.
- To assist in the licensing process, notices are mailed annually in May to all Norwalk dog owners.