Call-In Bulk Waste Collection
Pilot Program Begins January 2018
Norwalk Mayor Harry W. Rilling is pleased to announce a Bulk Waste Collection Pilot Program that will be rolled out in the 4th Taxing District. Beginning January 2018, residents of the 4th Taxing District will be able to call Customer Service to request a pick-up once a month.
During this Pilot Program, the areas that receive City garbage collection have been divided into four (4) sections and will be assigned one bulky waste pick up a month (see attached map). The collection day will be on a Wednesday.
For Example, in January 2018 the following is the schedule for Bulky Collection:
- 1st Wednesday (Dark Green): Wednesday, January 3, 2018
- 2nd Wednesday (Light Green): Wednesday, January 10, 2018
- 3rd Wednesday (Yellow): Wednesday, January 17, 2018
- 4th Wednesday (Red): Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Currently, the City offers bulky waste collection once a year. The new system will provide residents with a more efficient and convenient way to dispose of their Bulky Items.
“This new initiative will certainly improve the quality of life of our residents. Residents won’t have to wait a whole year to rid themselves of bulky waste items. They will have the convenience of calling customer service to schedule their pick up. This will, hopefully, reduce illegal dumping making this program a win-win for both the residents and the city,” stated Mayor Rilling
To request collection of bulky items, residents must call Customer Service at
(203) 854-3200 ext. 4 before 3:00 pm on the Monday before their scheduled pickup day. The items they are placing at the curb must be specified.
Below is the list of acceptable and unacceptable items and program guidelines.
|Bulky Items||Household Hazardous Waste|
|Furniture – Couches, Chairs, Bookcases, etc.||Liquid Waste – including paint|
|Rolled rugs/ carpets (no more than 4 feet wide)||Vehicles & Motor Parts or anything with a title of ownership (e.g. motorcycle, trailer, etc.)|
|Lumber (cut into pieces no more than 4 feet)||Propane Tanks (can be disposed at Norwalk Transfer Station)|
|Metal Items||Yard Waste|
|Metal Appliances (washing machine, dryer, etc.) – CANNOT contain Freon||Construction & Remodeling Debris (concrete, sheetrock, masonry, toilets, sinks, pipes, shingles, tiles, furnaces)|
|Large Plastic Items – Children’s Toys, Outdoor chairs, etc.||Single-Stream Recycling|
|Clothing & Textiles|
|Freon Appliances (air conditioners, refrigerators, etc.)|
GENERAL INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES
- Collection will be of Bulky Items (large furniture, mattresses, rolled rugs/carpets, wood no longer than 4 feet in length, etc.); Metal Items (metal shelves, metal appliances, etc.); and Hard Plastic Items (large plastic toys, lawn furniture, etc.) ONLY – not part of normal weekly curbside garbage collection.
- Bulky Item Collection is offered to residential properties only (up to four units); this collection is not available to commercial locations which receive City curbside garbage collection.
- Household hazardous waste, tires, electronics, propane tanks, Freon appliance (air conditioners, refrigerators/freezers, etc.), concrete and construction materials will NOT be accepted.
- Residents must call Customer Service BEFORE 3:00 pm on the Monday prior to their collection day, and list items to be collected.
- Different trucks will collect different types of materials – Bulky Items, Metal Items, and Hard Plastic Items.
- Items must be neat and orderly placed curbside before 7:00 am on the scheduled collection day (and not placed more than 48 Hours prior). Items should not be placed on or close to mailbox, fence, or utility pole. DO NOT block sidewalks or street with items.
- Bulky Items collected will only be those listed during call-in to Customer Service. If additional items are placed at curb, they will not be collected.
- Bulky Items will only be collected from the residence where it is generated. Do NOT place bulky items on a neighbor’s curbside pile – this is considered illegal dumping.
- Do not put out cardboard boxes for collection; either empty or filled with bulky items.
- Please place like-items together. For example – place metal items together, place hard plastic items together, etc.
- The Bulky Item pile will be stickered or a door hanger will be placed at the Residence and nothing will be collected if these guidelines are not followed.
- If Bulky Collection is cancelled due to inclement weather, the collection will not be rescheduled. Collection will be postponed until the following month.
- If your Bulky Item was missed, please call Customer Service on the following day after your scheduled collection day.
View the BULK PICKUP MAP
For more information on the Call-In Bulk Waste Collection Program, please visit www.norwalkct.org or contact the Customer Service Center at (203) 854-3200 x4.