- Please note that Norwalk City Hall will be closed Thursday AND Friday, Nov. 22 and 23, for Thanksgiving, and will re open Monday morning, Nov. 26.
Office Hours: Open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. We do not close for lunch. In case of inclement weather, please call ahead. We are expected to be open when City Hall is open. Location: Room 105, on the first floor (ground level) of Norwalk City Hall, 125 East Avenue, Norwalk, CT 06851.
- Main telephone number: (203) 854-7731 Facsimile: (203) 854-7770
Tax bills for the July 1, 2018 installment were mailed in mid June 2018, and August 1 was the last day on which to pay without interest. Interest for the rest of the month of November is 7.5% on the first installment amount. Interest is charged on late payments at the rate of 1.5% per month (July - November is five months) from the due date (July 1, 2018). A portion of a month is considered a whole month; interest is not per diem.
Tax bills for the second installment (payable by February 1, 2019) will be sent in December 2018. However, payment may be made at any time. Taxpayers do not need to wait to receive a bill in the mail to pay their second installment.
- You can look up what you owe by clicking the "E-Tax Bill Lookup" on this page under Quick Links (to your right) , or also in the blue margin to your left.
- On May 7, 2018, the Board of Estimate and Taxation set the new mill rates for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2018. Those rates can be seen by clicking the link below. These rates will generate taxes based on the Grand List (assessment date) of October 1, 2017.
- Taxes are due July 1, 2018 and January 1, 2019, payable without interest by August 1, 2018, and February 1, 2019. You may pay by mail; in person at our office, in person at a participating bank branch; on line, or over the telephone.
- During the collection period only, if you would like to pay in person at a bank branch, you may bring your most recent bill, and the bank will give you a receipt. Banks will not be accepting payments on our behalf until December 2018, when second installment bills are issued.
- The easiest way to pay is either by mail, or on line with an "E Check" (electronic check / ACH payment). There is a modest fee of $1.50 for using an E Check.
2018 -2019 Approved Operating Budget:
For more information on the operating budget, please go to the Management & Budgets home page.
Past Due Statements / Demands :
Past due tax statements were sent in September 2018 with interest shown through October 31, 2018.
Liens: Lien continuing certificates ('tax liens') were filed on the Norwalk Land Records on March 16, 2018.
Tax Sale: The tax sale was held July 23, 2018. The six month redemption period runs until January 23, 2019. Deeds will be recorded on January 24, 2019. Taxpayers whose properties were in the sale who want to redeem their properties should contact our office for payment information when they are ready to redeem. Redemption payments must be made with certified bank check or cash, and will be payable to the successful bidder, not to the City. Personal checks will not be accepted to redeem tax sale properties.
"Prepayment" of property tax obligations:
As a consequence of changes made in late 2017 involving the way state and local property taxes will be allowable as deductions ("SALT" deductions) in the federal tax code, many taxpayers had new questions about "prepayment" of tax obligations that came due in calendar year 2018. Taxpayers were welcome to pay their January 1, 2018 installments of their tax obligations in calendar year 2017. However, in 2017, the city did not have the authority to collect tax installments that came due in July 2018 or later. Many taxpayers chose to pay their January 2018 obligations in December 2017, even though the last day to pay without penalty was February 1, 2018. However, we did not accept payments towards future tax obligations (payments due in July 2018 and beyond), as doing so would have conflicted with state law.
Refunds of Excess Payments:
Our office refunds payments made in excess of the amount billed ("overpayments") according to standard procedures. There is a written application form that must be completed and signed, and other information must be provided. If a taxpayer paid in December 2017, and his or her escrow agent subsequently also paid the same bill, the refund was sent to the escrow agent, as that is the payment that 'overpaid' the account. All property tax refunds in excess of $10,000 require legislative approval per the city charter. Please contact a staff member for more information.
- Q & A on Tax Information
- “Where Your Tax Dollar Goes” - FYE 2019
- Tax Collector's Legal Notice, June 2018
- Tax Payment Information Policy
- The E Tax Bill look up online is now available
- Important notice about your motor vehicle tax bills
- Business personal property: Declarations were due Nov. 1, 2018 in the Assessor's office. To download a copy of the form to be filed, go to the Norwalk Assessor's page on this website, and search for 2018 personal property declaration. (The form is 8 pages.) There is a penalty assessed for filing after November 1, but it is still in your best interest to file !
Location: Room 105, on the first floor (ground level) of Norwalk City Hall.
Mailing address: Tax Collector, 125 East Avenue Room 105, Norwalk, CT 06851
Tel: (203) 854 - 7731 Facsimile: (203) 854 - 7770
Responsibilities: The tax collector's office is responsible for the billing and collection of property taxes and other charges that comprise approximately 90% of the city's operating revenue. The office operates under the authority of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Taxes and charges collected include:
- Real estate taxes
- Motor vehicle taxes
- Business personal property taxes
- Sewer use fees
- Sewer assessment fees, IPP fees, and other city charges
Lisa Biagiarelli, Tax Collector
Click for 2018 Tax Sale List
Tax Sale Boards May 2018
The tax sale was held July 23, 2018. More information will be posted below as it becomes available. We expect to collect in excess of $5 million through the 2018 tax sale.
- Legal Notice: Second Constructive Notice: Publication June 27, 2018
- Bidding Restrictions for City of Norwalk Officials and Employees
- Tax Sale Minimum Bid List: July 20, 2018
- Boat Slip Drawings
- Legal Notice Subsequent to Tax Sale: September 5, 2018