Safety Information

The Dangers of Heating Equipment


Norwalk's fire marshal would like to warn people about the dangers of using space heaters or barbecues to heat their homes. Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fires during the months of December, January, and February.

One of the most dangerous things you can do is put a space heater too close to things that easily catch fire, such as:
  • Bedding
  • Clothing
  • Mattresses
  • Upholstered furniture

For More Information


For more information about heating equipment and fire prevention, please contact the Fire Prevention and Inspection Division at (203) 854-0240.