What Every Voter Should Know About Voter Registration
- You must register before election day — To vote in Norwalk, you must be registered to vote. If you haven't registered before the election, Connecticut now offers Election Day registration. You can come to City Hall between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M to register and vote on Election Day.
- Where you vote is based on where you live — You vote on election day at the polling place designated for the district in which your residence is located, so you must be registered at the address of your current permanent residence.
- If move permanently, you must re-register at your new address — The Registrar of Voters' Office receives change of address information from the post office, and from the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you move out of Norwalk, you lose your voting rights in Norwalk, and you must register in your new town or state in order to vote there. If you later return and reestablish a Norwalk residence you must register in Norwalk again.
- If move temporarily, you may still vote in Norwalk — If your move was only temporary, such as for college or military service, or to a summer or winter residence, you do not lose your voting rights in Norwalk unless you register to vote somewhere else.
- If you move out of the country, you may still vote in Norwalk — If you move temporarily or permanently to another country you also retain voting rights in Norwalk.
- You must declare a party affiliation to vote in primary — Primary elections are often held to chose a political party's nominee(s) for public office. To vote in a political party's primary, you must be affiliated with that party. All you have to do is check the appropriate box on your voter registration card. You can do this when you register initially, or you can fill out a new registration card at any time. To be entitled to vote, party members who wish to switch parties must do so at least 90 days before the primary election date, but unaffiliated voters may join a party up to one day before the primary.
For More Information
For additional information view:
If you have any questions, please contact the registrar of voters' office at (203) 854-7996.