Click to Home
Go To Search
Emergency Alert
How to Register

Initial Registration
    You can register online by going to

    You can also register by filling out a voter registration form. These must be filled out, signed, and handed in or mailed to the Registrar's office before the election. Voter registration cards are official legal documents and must be personally signed in ink. 

    Blank forms are available in the Registrars’ office (Room 122) or the Town Clerk's office (Room 102), both located at: Norwalk City Hall
125 East Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06856

    You may also download a registration form, complete it, sign it, and mail it to the Registrars’ office. Forms are also sent out by the Department of Motor Vehicles to persons renewing their driver’s license. Spanish language forms are also available. 

    When your application is accepted, the Registrars will send a notice confirming  your address and informing you where you vote in the next general election. 
Deadlines for New Registrations 

  • Primary Elections: The deadline is five days before a primary election by mail, or by noon, the day before, in person. Your application must be postmarked by the fifth day before a primary or received by the Registrar of Voters' office or a voter registration agency by the fifth day before the primary. You may apply in person at the Registrars’ office or at the Town Clerk’s office by noon on the last business day before a primary.
  • General Elections: The deadline is 14 days before a general election by mail, or seven days before in person. Your application must be postmarked by the fifth day before a primary or received by the Registrar of Voters' office or a voter registration agency by the 14th day before a general election. You may apply in person at the Registrars’ office or at the Town Clerk’s office by the seventh day before a general election.
  • Election Day Registration: Connecticut now allows for Election Day Registration (EDR), so if you have not regestered to vote by the cut-off dates, it is still possible this year to come into City Hall on Election Day — November 4th (between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M.). Persons wishing to do so must have a valid I.D. and with current proof of Norwalk residency (30 days or less) — and vote at City Hall. There is no EDR at regular polling places. . 
                                                                                                                     Back To Top        

What if I Move?                                                                                                
Moving Out of Norwalk 
    If you move out of Norwalk, you lose your voting rights in Norwalk, and you must register in your new town or state in order to vote there. When you register in your new Connecticut town, we get a notice via the statewide voter registration system. If you register to vote in another state we usually receive a notice from your new state. In addition, the Registrars’ office receives change of address information from the post office each year and from the Department of Motor Vehicles each month. 

    If you later return and re-establish a Norwalk residence, you must register in Norwalk again.

Moving to Another Part of Norwalk 
    If you move to a different address within Norwalk you do not lose your Norwalk voting rights. Prior to election day you should fill out a new registration card and check the address change box in order to be registered at your new address. However, if you have not done this, you may go to the polling place for your new residence on election day and fill out a new registration card. The election officials will check to see that you have not voted at your old address, and you will be given a ballot for yout new address. This will take more time on election day than normal.
If Your Move is Temporary 
    If your move was only temporary - such as for college or military service - you do not lose your voting rights in Norwalk unless you register to vote somewhere else. In order to vote, you need to return to Norwalk on election day or vote by absentee ballot.

If You Move Out of the Country 
    If you move temporarily to another country you also retain voting rights in Norwalk. You should vote by absentee ballot or by an overseas ballot.

Change of Name
    If your name has changed because of marriage or divorce, if we have entered it incorrectly, or if you simply want to change the way your name is listed, you should fill out the voter registration application below and check the box for “Name Change.”
                                                                                                              Back To Top

Enrolling in a Political Party                                                                               
    You may register to be affiliated with a political party when you register to vote, but you are not required to do so. If you do not pick a party, you are considered unaffiliated. If you specify "Independent,” you are actually enrolled with the Independent Party, which is no longer active in Norwalk. 

    You can pick a party, or change your mind and pick a different party at any time by filling out a New Voter Registration Form

    If you are switching between parties, you must do so 90 days prior to a primary, in order to vote in your new party’s primary. If you are switching from unaffiliated to a party, you must do so by mail, or in person by noon on the day before the primary, in order to vote in your new party’s primary. 

    Party enrollment is only necessary in order to vote in your party’s primary election, if one is held. Regardless of your party affiliation, you may vote for the candidate(s) of your choice in the general election.                                                                                                                             

New (Young) Voter Registration
    You must be 18 years old to vote. You may register to vote when you are 17 years old, so long as you will be 18 on or before election day. Your application will be accepted and processed in the normal manner, and you will automatically be given active voter status on your birthday.

Additional Resources

On the Water, On the Move
Home Contact Us Privacy Policy Sitemap Copyright Notice Powered by CivicPlus Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook
Tree City USAStorm Ready