Out of town residents will be charged a $25 camping registration fee and an additional $10 per night camping fee for use of Norwalk island parks. Norwalk residents providing proof of residency will be exempt from the registration fee, but will be required to pay a $10 per night camping fee. No refunds will be provided.
Overnight Permit Requests
A permit issued by the City of Norwalk Department of Recreation and Parks
will be required for all overnight island camping. Permits will not be issued on site and are required prior to setting up camp. Said permits will only be issued at the Veteran's Park Boating Center
or through the Norwalk Harbormasters Office, located at:
Norwalk, CT 06855
Phone (203) 866-8810
Camping registration requests are required 14 days prior to the camping date requested. All permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis.
Campers on the islands without a valid permit will be required to remove all camping equipment.
- Camping permits will expire at 11:00 am of the last authorized date. Vacant sites may be occupied after 11:00 am on the day of the permit.
- The camping season on the island is April 15 through October 15 each year.
- Permits will not be issued for more than seven consecutive nights
- Maximum number of campers per permit is eight
- Camping will be allowed in designated numbered campsites only
- A maximum of 16 designated campsites for each 24-hour period will be available to the public on a first come, first serve basis on Shea (Ram) Island; only four sites will be available on Grassy Island
- Outhouse / restroom facilities will be available on Shea and Grassy Islands as available during the season
- No fresh water is available
For further information about the fees and permit requirements of the Norwalk Island Park System, please contact Recreation and Parks Office at (203) 866-8810 or (203) 854-7806.