Senior Services Programs
SERVICES WE PROVIDE:
· Case Management: Senior Umbrella staff provide case management services for all elderly and disabled persons living in Norwalk, as mandated by the City of Norwalk, and as Resident Coordinators for seniors living in public housing.
· Home Visits: A Case Manager can visit any senior who is disabled and unable to come to the office. For example, Norwalk hospital may make a referral to Senior Umbrella to let us know that someone is being discharged from the hospital and needs assistance in setting up home based services. The Case Manager will make an appointment to go to the person’s home and assess his or her needs. She is knowledgeable about what services are available in the community and can help to facilitate the application process for needed services. She will also follow-up to make sure that those services are in place and helpful for the senior.
· Referrals: Senior Umbrella staff is knowledgeable about area resources, and can assist seniors or family members in identifying appropriate services and applying for them. (See link to directory of services?)
· Medical Insurance Counseling: Trained staff will assist seniors with medical insurance information, Medicare prescription drug plans, Medicaid applications and explain medical bills.
· Assistance in applying for Financial Benefit Programs: Senior Umbrella staff can assist seniors who are eligible for programs such as Elderly and Disabled Renters Tax Relief, Tax Deferral Program, Energy Assistance, Home Owner’s Tax Relief Program, ConnPACE, SSI, Title XIX and others.
· Advocacy: Seniors who are having difficulty in getting the help that they need or are entitled to, either in the public or private sector can get assistance from Senior Umbrella staff in sorting out or correcting the issue.
· LifePack: A kit to keep in your home which contains medical information in case of an emergency.
· Yellow Dot: Safety for senior drivers (a packet of critical medical information to keep in your car in case of emergency)
· Bi-lingual Staff
ASSISTANCE WITH MEDICAL EXPENSES
ConnPACE Provides financial assistance for prescriptions. Connecticut residents who are 65 or older or receiving Social Security disability payments may be eligible for ConnPACE. Income limits are $25,100 for singles, $33,800 for couples. Enrollment period Nov. 15 - Dec. 31
Title XIX Medicaid or Title 19 is a program of medical/financial assistance offered by Connecticut’s Dept. of Social Services. The program pays some medical bills for people with low incomes and asset levels. The approximate figures are $ 888.61 per month for 1 person; $1,333.92 per month for 2 persons. Liquid assets, 1 person $1,600 and $2,400 for 2 persons.
Medicare Part D Prescription coverage program available through Medicare. Anyone who has Medicare Part A and/or B is eligible, but must enroll to receive benefits. The Senior Services CHOICES counselors can provide assistance in deciding whether to enroll and which drug plan is best for you.
QMB (Q01) Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program pays Medicare Part B premiums, Medicare deductibles and Medicare co-payments, for income eligible seniors.
SLMB (Q03) This low-income Medicare beneficiary program pays the Medicare Part B premium only, for income eligible seniors.
ALMB(Q04) This program pays for Part B premium only. Subject to available program funding.
Q01,Q03, & Q04 are also known as the Medicare Saving Programs (MSP). If you qualify for MSP, you will automatically qualify for Extra Help also known as Low-Income Subsidy (LIS).
SNAP (Food Stamps)
This federally funded program provides food stamps to persons of any age meeting the gross monthly income limits of $1,671 for one person & $2,248 for two persons. No asset limit.
SSI A federal program that will increase your monthly income if your Social Security benefit is less than $500 per month and your only source of income. Asset limits are $2,000 for 1 person, $3,000 for 2 persons
Renters Tax Relief
State program for elderly and totally disabled renters. Income for filing year 2009 must not exceed $32,300 if single or $39,500 for a couple.
Apply between May 15, 2010- September 15, 2010.
Homeowner’s Tax Rebate
There are two programs available to Norwalk senior homeowners to help them with their real estate taxes:
The Tax Deferral Program allows seniors to defer their property taxes (or a percentage thereof) until the sale of the property or transfer of the property to a non-senior.
The Homeowner’s Tax Relief Program offers a percentage reduction in real estate taxes to Norwalk residents who are 65 or over or are disabled.
Income guidelines for the City Homeowner Program are $42,600 or less.
Eligibility income limit for the State program is $32,300 for single persons and $39,500 for married couples. No asset limits. Guidelines are for the 2009 year. Program starts on February 1, 2010 - April 15, 2010.
This program offers help with fuel bills for people of low income. Eligibility determination for the 2009/2010 program:
Income can be no higher than $30,485 for 1 person, $39,865 for 2 persons. For households with 3 or more persons, consult staff.
Program runs from 11/1/10 - 0 5/01/11
Yellow Dot Program (TRIAD) is designed to help save lives. A round yellow sticker on your car window alerts first responders that life saving information about you is in your car’s glove compartment.
LifePack Contains your medical history, physicians names, emergency contact numbers, allergies, medications and other emergency information. It is placed in the freezer, with a magnet on the freezer door and a sticker on the outside door. We have contacted all local emergency personnel about the purpose of these packs. In the event of an emergency, the responder will see the sticker, collect the “Life Pack” and take it with the senior to the emergency room at the hospital, if that is where the senior is going.
“LIFE PACK” SPEAKS FOR THE UNCONSCIOUS SENIOR WHO CANNOT SPEAK FOR HIMSELF OR HERSELF”.
“LIFE PACK” IS FREE OF CHARGE!!! Call now or visit us in Room 8, 11 Allen Rd., Norwalk to set up an appointment for us to go to your home and fill out your “Life Pack” (203-847-2830)