Building & Code Enforcement
Welcome back! The Building & Code Enforcement Office Staff have been working to ensure the permitting process has been running as efficiently as possible. Now that City Hall has re-opened, please see the information below:
- The Office will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30AM-4:00PM .
- Our front desk staff will be available during office hours, however inspectors leave daily for inspections from 10:30AM to 3:30PM and will not be available during inspection hours. Specific questions can be answered by calling or e-mailing the appropriate inspector - please give them 24 business hours to respond. In person appointments will be scheduled if issue or request cannot be handled with other available means of communication.
- We will continue the practice of internal circulation of applications from the Planning & Zoning Department.
- For more information on the application process, please see below information:
Building (Structural) Permits
- Once we receive your application from the Planning & Zoning Department, an inspector will contact you with any questions, requests for additional information, and collect permit fees in order to complete your Building Permit application.
- Click on the links below for guidance and step regarding the City's Building Permit application process:
|Structural Building Permit Process|
| Residential Properties (1 & 2 Family dwellings)
|Residential Properties (3 or more units)|
|Roofing, Windows or Siding|
- Building Permit inspections and appointments can be arranged by calling or emailing Leo Guerrero (203-854-7761 or email@example.com) or Peter Kelly (203-854-7965 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Window, roofing and siding Building Permit applications do not generally require a Planning & Zoning permit. These permit applications can be downloaded (see link to left) and submitted via email to email@example.com.
Trade Permit applications
Notice: Location of any exterior equipment (including, but not limited to ALL rooftop units, above ground LP tanks, exterior oil tanks and air conditioning condensers - new or replacements) must be accompanied by a Zoning Permit approval.
- All trade permit applications should be submitted digitally using the forms listed here. Download the form, fill it out, upload or scan the form and email it to the appropriate Trade Inspector as noted below. Any trade permits that require other department sign-off (ie. Zoning, Heath, Conservation) must follow the structural permit procedure above.
- Mechanical & Plumbing Permit applications, inspections and appointments can be arranged by contacting Paul Zeiss via email or phone at 203-854-7966.
- Electrical Permit applications inspections and appointments can be arranged by contacting Sal Cenatiempo via email or phone at 203-854-7968.
- Trade Inspectors are available Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 10:30AM.
Research Requests for Property Permit History
To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy/Compliance or to verify a property has no open permits, submit the Request Form . The form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the research is completed, you will be notified of the cost of copies. We will scan and deliver the information to you once payment has been made. Fees for copies can be paid over the phone by credit card.
The Building Code Enforcement Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code and the laws and regulations set forth by the Connecticut Department of Public Safety. In this capacity, the department:
- Conducts required inspections of building sites and buildings
- Issues building and all related trade permits
- Issues Certificate of Occupancy after satisfactory completion of all permitted work
- Reviews all applications and drawings for building and safety code compliance
- Inspects and processes all complaints of building code violations
The department is also responsible for the protection of unsafe and hazardous buildings, which includes overseeing all demolition projects. The department's building official serves as chairman of the Condemnation Committee for the city.
Building Code Enforcement is also responsible for all swimming pools, signs, and tents, and their permits and inspections.
Click here to read the Municipal Code / City of Norwalk Codebook