Building & Code Enforcement
DUE TO THE OUTBREAK OF COVID-19 WE WILL BE LIMITING PUBLIC ACCESS TO ENSURE THE SAFETY AND WELL-BEING OF EVERYONE.
The following schedule will apply to CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICE:
THE OFFICE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC PER ORDER OF THE MAYOR BUT INSPECTIONS AND QUESTIONS CAN STILL BE CALLED IN:
Inspections will be conducted during the afternoon hours. For Building Inspections, call the following two numbers: (203)-854-7761 or (203)-854-7965. Phone calls will be returned either that day or the following business day
Mechanical inspections should be called into (203)-854-7966. Phone calls will be returned either that day or the following business day
Electrical inspections should be called into (203)-854-7968. Phone calls will be returned either that day or the following business day.
5) Emergencies and Blight will be dealt with accordingly.
The Building Code Enforcement Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code and the laws and regulations set forth by the Connecticut Department of Public Safety. In this capacity, the department:
- Conducts required inspections of building sites and buildings
- Issues building and all related trade permits
- Issues Certificate of Occupancy after satisfactory completion of all permitted work
- Reviews all applications and drawings for building and safety code compliance
- Inspects and processes all complaints of building code violations
The department is also responsible for the protection of unsafe and hazardous buildings, which includes overseeing all demolition projects. The department's building official serves as chairman of the Condemnation Committee for the city.
Building Code Enforcement is also responsible for all swimming pools, signs, and tents, and their permits and inspections.
Click here to read the Municipal Code / City of Norwalk Codebook