Building & Code Enforcement
Welcome back! The Building & Code Enforcement Office will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30AM-4:00PM beginning May 20, 2021.
- The fastest and preferred method for submission of all trade permit applications and other supporting information is though email to firstname.lastname@example.org or the dropbox located outside City Hall.
- We have a limited number of in-person appointments available. We will attempt to first service your request over email, phone or video conference. We will schedule an in-person appointment only when your issue or request cannot be handled with the other available means of communication. These appointments can be made by calling the appropriate inspector.
Building (Structural) Permits
- City Hall will continue the practice of internal circulation of applications between City Departments for Structural Building Permits.
- Click on the links below for guidance and step regarding the City's Building Permit application process:
|Structural Building Permit Process|
| Residential Properties (1 & 2 Family dwellings)
|Residential Properties (3 or more units)|
|Roofing, Windows or Siding|
- Tenant fit-ups, even if no construction work is proposed, must follow the tenant fit-up process in the link above in order to occupy a commercial or industrial space.
- Building Permit inspections and appointments can be arranged by calling or emailing Leo Guerrero (203-854-7761 or email@example.com) or Peter Kelly (203-854-7965 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Trade Permit applications
- Stand-alone trade permit applications should be submitted digitally using the forms and email listed here. Any trade permits that require other department sign-off (ie. Zoning, Heath, Conservation) must follow the structural permit procedure above.
- For fastest service, submit your Trade Permit documents via email to email@example.com.
- Inspectors are available in-person Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 10:30AM.
- Mechanical Permit inspections and appointments can be arranged by contacting Paul Zeiss via email or phone at 203-854-7966.
- Electrical Permit inspections and appointments can be arranged by contacting Sal Cenatiempo via email or phone at 203-854-7968.
Research Requests for Property Permit History
To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy/Compliance or to verify a property has no open permits, submit the Request Form . The form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the research is completed, you will be notified of the cost of copies. We will scan and deliver the information to you once payment has been made. Fees for copies can be paid over the phone by credit card.
The Building Code Enforcement Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code and the laws and regulations set forth by the Connecticut Department of Public Safety. In this capacity, the department:
- Conducts required inspections of building sites and buildings
- Issues building and all related trade permits
- Issues Certificate of Occupancy after satisfactory completion of all permitted work
- Reviews all applications and drawings for building and safety code compliance
- Inspects and processes all complaints of building code violations
The department is also responsible for the protection of unsafe and hazardous buildings, which includes overseeing all demolition projects. The department's building official serves as chairman of the Condemnation Committee for the city.
Building Code Enforcement is also responsible for all swimming pools, signs, and tents, and their permits and inspections.
Click here to read the Municipal Code / City of Norwalk Codebook