Who We Are
Duvian Montoya, Norwalk Migration
Who We Are
The roots of the Norwalk Arts Commission go back to the 1970’s, but it wasn’t until 2017, that the Norwalk Arts Commission became an official part of the City of Norwalk. Our commission consists of 11 Norwalk residents appointed by the Mayor. We are stewards for Norwalk’s public art collection, cultural assets, public art policy, and the creative community. We believe that our cultural and artistic landscape is an incredible asset of our city, providing economic value and a place where the creative community can gather and thrive.
Our mission is to infuse the arts into Norwalk civic and cultural experiences. Our vision is to foster a vibrant arts culture that reflects Norwalk’s unique community identity.
Here are some of the ways that we support our community:
- Take the lead on responding to any funding opportunities available to municipal local arts organizations based on identified community priorities and needs.
- Partner with other city departments and local arts organizations on arts related programs, services, networking opportunities and capacity-building.
- Promote the availability and provide guidance about best use of the city’s assets by artists and the arts community. These include but are not limited to public art installations, galleries, performance venues.
- Provide a user-friendly interface between artists, arts organizations, performance groups, etc. and city government.
- Provide an efficient effective way for elected officials, city departments and staff members involved with arts-related activities (public programming, public art, etc.) to connect with artists, arts organizations, and the community at large.
- Serve as advisory stewards of the City’s public art collection including but not limited to the WPA murals.
- For each new public art project, assist in the development project parameters, including artist selection process and selection criteria, and a list of prospective selection panelist members.
- Represent the City at regional (Cultural Alliance), state and national arts organizations.
- Advocate for bringing a sense of aesthetic awareness to planning and decision-making about city assets (City Hall).
Members of the Arts Commission
“Friends of” the Norwalk Arts Commission
We encourage the public to join the Norwalk Arts Commission meetings as “Friends of” the Commission. You can always join us as a guest. If you would like to present to the commission, please e-mail email@example.com with details regarding what you would like to present.
The Norwalk Arts Commission meetings are primarily held once a month on the first Tuesday of each month from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Locations and dates may vary. See the city calendar for upcoming meetings.
Become a Member of the Norwalk Arts Commission