Zoning Permit Applications Guidelines
What needs a Zoning Permit?
- Accessory structures, such as sheds, swimming pools, HVAC equipment
- Interior or exterior modifications to your home, including construction of decks, additions, & garages and expanding living space
- Use of your home for a private business or "home occupation"
- Commercial tenant-fit ups or changes, signage, and expansions
- Certain work within a flood zone @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Zoning Permit Application form can be found here.
Applicants should fill out only the highlighted portions and sign at the bottom. Zoning Staff will fill out the rest of the form during review of your project.
In addition to the application form, you will need to submit plans that adequately depict your project. Depending on the nature of your project, you may need to provide a land survey map, a site plan, architectural drawings and/or construction drawings.
If you are seeking to add a detached accessory structure (a shed, pool, generator, HVAC, for example) to your property, click here for a summary of setbacks and other information.
You are encouraged to submit your application and plans to ZoningPermits@NorwalkCT.org.
Hard copies of plan sets and your application can also be dropped off at the Customer Service transaction window at the front entrance to City Hall. The Customer Service window is open Monday-Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM.
Please click below for more information on the City's permitting process :
For projects involving Residential (1- & 2-Family Residences) Properties