Unpaid Balances

Paying Past Due Taxes

The tax collector's office makes every effort to show past due accounts, if any, on your consolidated statement. Any past due taxes must be paid in full before payment on current bills can be accepted.  Any payment you remit will be applied to past due taxes and interest charges first.

Past due notices are sent to taxpayers semiannually, usually in February and September, in addition to the semiannual tax billings, which are sent in June and December.  Past due notices, called Demand Notices, were sent in September 2021, with interest valid through the end of September 2021 only.  Additional amounts are now due and taxpayers should call or go online to confirm what is currently owed.  

Last year due to COVID 19 and the extended grace period, past due notices were sent in November 2020 and again in April 2021.

Motor Vehicle Taxes

If motor vehicle taxes remain unpaid, you will be unable to renew ANY vehicle, snowmobile, or vessel registrations with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV),  per Connecticut General Statute 14-33.   Past due motor vehicle taxes must be paid in full in order to receive DMV tax clearance.  You also must pay an additional fee of $5 per vehicle, per year for a DMV release.

All outstanding vehicle taxes in your name, including taxes not yet delinquent, must be paid in full in order for a release to be issued.  If you must pay your past due motor vehicle taxes with a personal check, you will not receive a DMV clearance for 30 days. An ATM is available in the tax collector's office. 

Effective November 2015, the Department of Motor Vehicles discontinued use of the paper 'release' or stamp for tax clearance.  All motor vehicle tax clearances are now done electronically, overnight. 

If you pay your delinquent motor vehicle taxes on line or over the telephone with a credit, debit or ATM card, YOU WILL NOT BE CLEARED IMMEDIATELY, AND WILL NEED TO ALLOW AT LEAST TWO ADDITIONAL BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE DAY YOU MAKE YOUR PAYMENT.   

If you make your payment on line or over the telephone today,  our office will not process your payment until the following business day.   Then, our office will submit  your clearance to the DMV overnight, and you will be cleared to register on the business day after we process the payment.   This is why we say you need to allow at least two additional business days from the day you make your payment if you are using a credit, debit or ATM card either on line or over the telephone.   

If you pay by E Check (ACH payment), you may need to wait up to several weeks for clearance. 
We do not recommend using this method to pay delinquent motor vehicle taxes if you need to get a motor vehicle clearance.   If you use this method, you must show proof that the payment has cleared your bank in order to receive clearance. 

The fastest way to get cleared for DMV is to make your payment at the tax collector's office in person.   If you do this, you will be cleared overnight and will be able to register the following business day.   Window hours:  Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 4 pm.   No appointment is needed and we do not close for lunch.
If you want to be cleared for DMV IMMEDIATELY, and do not want to wait overnight, you may request an express DMV clearance for an additional fee of $20, payable to the City of Norwalk.   Make this request at the time you are paying your delinquent motor vehicle taxes at the tax collector's window.  This will done for you if time and staffing permit, and if the DMV system is accessible and functioning.
Please note: The tax collector's window accepts credit, debit, and ATM cards for tax payments.  We accept cash only when taking payments in our office.  View additional tax payment methods.

The best way to avoid having compliance issues with the DMV is to pay your vehicle taxes on time, when they are due. 

Personal Property Taxes

If personal property taxes remain unpaid, the tax collector will execute a levy against your business property, goods, and chattels in accordance with state statute.

You will not be reissued a health permit by the Health Department until your taxes are paid. In addition, you cannot receive a resident pass (beach sticker) unless your motor vehicle taxes are paid.

For More Information

If you have questions about what you owe, please contact the tax collector's office staff members by calling (203) 854-7731 or by fax at (203) 854-7770.