Conservation Office

spring flyer for web 1

Soil test info available here:

For Wetland Permit applicants, please email the Conservation Office staff directly (see contact to the right).  

For Building Permits, please know that Conservation review and sign-offs (the Green Sheet) will provided internally after you have received your Zoning Permit.   Contact Zoning (Zoning webpage or or 203-854-7780) if you are unsure how to apply for your zoning permit.  Once approved, your Zoning Permit and Conservation sign-off will be delivered to the Building Department for you.  

For any other Conservation Office matters, please leave a message at the Conservation main line at 203-854-7744.  Please know we are working, but are often away from this phone - please leave a message.  We check for messages often and will call you back promptly.

 We encourage use of phone and email communication, however in the event you feel an in-person appointment at City Hall would serve you best, please call 203-854-7744 and we will arrange an appointment time.

 Want to know more? 
Go directly to Land Care & Plant Tips, Stormwater Management Practices, Runoff Pollution, or Watershed Info!

Or use the navigation links in the top left corner to find additional information about general environmental information or the Inland Wetlands Agency and the Aquifer Protection Agency.


The Conservation Office provides staff for the:

Specific Responsibilities

The Conservation Office administers and enforces the regulations and policies of each of these boards. In particular, the office is responsible for:
  • Administering the City's Inland Wetland Regulations, which regulate activities adjacent to inland wetlands and watercourses in order to protect our water resources.
  • Oversee certain potentially hazardous land uses in the public drinking water supply areas in the city
  • Providing recommendations on natural resources and open space plans