Effective January 1, 2019 there will be a $65.00 dollar fee for liquor license renewals for the first inspection. Additional inspections for a liquor license renewal after the first inspection will be an additional $100.00 dollars for each inspection. The Fire Marshal's Office will no longer accept phone or email requests for a liquor license renewal inspection. To schedule a liquor license inspection please visit the Fire Marshal's Office to submit the inspection fee and schedule your liquor license renewal inspection.
Message from Fire Marshal's office
The mission of the Fire Prevention, Investigation and Inspection Division is to promote fire safety and to provide the highest service to the Citizens of Norwalk.
This is achieved by promoting fire prevention and education, fire and life safety protection. This is continued by conducting building inspections, enforcing the Connecticut Fire Safety as well as the Local Norwalk Fire Codes. We are a leader in the apprehension and prosecution of arsonists. In addition, this division provides fire and life safety educational programs for city schools, organizations and the general public.
Many people do not know what the function of the fire marshal's office is. The eight members of this office have enough work to keep busy for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our primary function is to protect the citizens of Norwalk from fire. This entails:
- Inspecting commercial buildings as well as residential buildings housing three families or more
- Inspecting mobile food unit vehicles
- Overseeing outdoor cooking and festival events with fire watch personnel to ensure that the public remains safe, and ensure fire safety codes and regulations are followed. The Fire Marshal's Division must be contacted 3 days prior to the event to have your final inspection scheduled with us (an additional fee will be charged for weekend or evening final inspections, there is no charge during regular office hours)
- Providing fire watch for large assembly events, the Fire Marshal's Division must receive 3 days notice prior to event to schedule to have your final inspection scheduled with us. The requirement for a fire watch will be determined at the time your permit is signed by the Fire Marshal's Division (an additional fee is required for all events requiring a fire watch)
Installing Mobile Technology
We are attempting to move ahead with the process of becoming mobile by installing computers in the inspectors' vehicles. This allows violations to be directly entered during actual inspections. This information can instantly be documented and available to emergency personnel. Upon completion of each inspection, an abatement notice is printed for the owners.
Streamlining Office Procedures
We are also constantly working to streamline our office procedures to better serve the community. Some of the ways we will accomplish this are:
- Allowing access to oil tank removal permits online
- Letting building owners know what their responsibilities are prior to our inspectors' visits
- Providing online checklists to better prepare individuals for their impending inspections
- Three (3) copies of the plans are required when submitting plans for review to the Fire Marshal, additionally we require all current State of Connecticut adopted codes specific to your project to be included with all plans submitted to ensure code compliance
Educating the Public
Public education is a big part of our fire safety strategy. Over the last ten years, we have been able to positively enhance our ability to provide the citizens of Norwalk with fire safety training.
We recently purchased a fire safety trailer through a generous grant from the Norwalk Kiwanis Club. This mobile tool allows us to take the training to all areas of the city, including all of our elementary schools as well as senior centers. We can show participants how to escape from a house fire by teaching them to crawl under the artificial smoke created by our trailer. In the past, we could only explain it. Now we can actually let the public experience it.
We also have a new addition to our staff - Sparky the Fire Dog. Sparky is an interactive robotic dog that rides around in a fire truck. He is loved by both children and adults.
Our latest teaching tool is a Bullex fire extinguisher training unit. This enables us to go into offices and other buildings and train occupants in using portable fire extinguishers safely.
We have also enhanced our ability to effectively investigate fires, their origins, and their causes by procuring a fire investigation vehicle. This vehicle is a major step up from our old Astro van and is equipped with all of the equipment and working space needed to conduct our investigations. (Photos of it, with new lettering,soon to follow!).
Grill RegulationsGrill Regulations
For More Information
As you can see we are moving in the right direction, and we will continue to improve our ability to better serve the Norwalk community.
For more information, please contact us at (203) 854-0244.
The Fire Marshal's office hours are 8:00 AM - 4 PM
The office is closed daily from 12:00-1:00 for lunch