How do I obtain a pistol permit?

The Norwalk Police Department only issues Temporary State of Connecticut Pistol Permits for bona fide permanent residents of the City of Norwalk. If you own a business in the City of Norwalk but reside outside the City of Norwalk, you must apply in the town of your residence for a State of Connecticut Pistol Permit. If you own a business in the City of Norwalk but reside outside the State of Connecticut, you must apply to the State of Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for a Non-Resident Pistol Permit. They can be reached at (860) 685-8290 or

PISTOL PERMITS - Will not be accepted if Incomplete, not Notarized, missing required documents or photo. You will need to reschedule an appointment.

Executive Order 7E(3) – extends the “60 Day Temporary Pistol Permit” expiration by 90 additional days for a Total of 150 Days from date signed.

Fingerprinting Online Scheduling 

Pistol Permit Application and Instructions

Show All Answers

1. How can I become a Norwalk police officer?
2. How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
3. How do I obtain a pistol permit?
4. How do I get my fingerprints taken?
5. How can I receive a criminal records check?
6. How do I hire an off-duty police officer?
7. Frequently Requested Policies
8. I am the victim of identify theft. What can I do?
9. Do I need to register my private security alarm?
10. How does an attorney or insurance company request a copy of case photos or video?
11. How do I commend or complain about a Norwalk police officer?
12. Solicitor's Permit Information for Business & Individuals
13. Patch Collector Information